Take a look at the Senior Pets because they offer unique advantages.
- Already trained and disciplined
- Leash trained (dogs) and litter box trained (cats)
- Knows basic commands
- Less likely to engage in destructive behaviors such as chewing, soiling, scratching, barking
- More sedate and less erratic. Adult pets make a practical choice for the elderly and kids
- Temperaments and personalities are established and known prior to adoption
- Level of socialization, with people and other animals, is known before you adopt
- Animal can be left alone for longer periods of time than a puppy or kitten
- Unspoken gratitude for receiving a second chance at life
The Humane Society of the US states that there are 6-8 million dogs and cats relinquished to shelters each year! At least half of those animals - up to 4 million a year - are killed, mostly due to the lack of anyone to adopt them. Only 30% of dogs and between 2% - 5% of cats entering shelters are reclaimed by their owners. 75% of shelter dogs are mixed breed like ME!