Monday, October 3, 2011

Save Your Pets from Antifreeze Poisoning

I had a little sister one time and her name was Wynona. She was 2 years younger than me. She looked just like a miniature Golden Retriever - she was so cute. One day after being sick for a couple of days, Wynona died. She was less than 3 years old. How did she die? Anti-freeze poisoning.  It's a very difficult death because it's generally not caught in time by owners. That's the reason my post today is so important. We found the information below from the Long Beach Animal Hospital Newsletter.

This is the time of the year when some people change their radiator fluid. 
The antifreeze that is put into radiator fluid is highly toxic to the kidneys 
of animals, even when ingested in small amounts.
Automobile antifreeze is composed of 95% ethylene glycol. If an average sized cat drinks a little over 1 tablespoon, or a small dog drinks 1/3 cup of 
undiluted antifreeze, it can be lethal unless treated immediately. Once 
antifreeze is consumed it is absorbed very quickly from the stomach and 
broken down by the liver and kidneys to a more toxic compound. If you see 
your pet lapping any amount of antifreeze (licking off garage floor counts 
too) this is a medical emergency and requires immediate care.

Typical symptoms include drinking and urinating more than usual, vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty walking. As the toxicity progresses over 1-3 days
there will be severe depression, no appetite, continual vomiting, and ulcers 
in the mouth. These are all signs the kidneys are failing and death soon 
follows.

This problem is difficult to diagnose without knowledge of ingestion. If your pet comes in immediately after ingestion the vet would immediately induce vomiting. Assuming this is performed soon after ingestion this will 
substantially decrease further absorption of the toxin. We will then place 
activated charcoal in the stomach to help absorb and bind up any 
antifreeze left. Simultaneously your pet is placed on intravenous fluids. 
These fluids help flush the kidneys and remove additional toxin that have 
already been absorbed into the bloodstream. Specific treatments exist that can be given intravenously to block the breakdown of the ethylene glycol, 
and allow these potential toxins to be excreted safely by the kidneys. 
However, they must be given less than 24 hours after ingestion.

My mommy and I understand there is an alternative to antifreeze that is 
safe without sacrificing your cars performance. Sierra Antifreeze-Coolant. Their formula is said to be less toxic and safer for kids, pets and wildlife in the environment. Truth in blogging: we have not personally tried that 
product.

To see more clinical symptoms of anti-freeze poisoning click here.
We receivedt the information from this post from the Long Beach Animal Hospital newsletter. 
Pin It!

1 comment:

Benny and Lily said...

yikes, scary
Benny & Lily