Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Donations - Make Sure Your Money is Going Where You Want it To.


Guess you've seen as many appeals for donations to various NFP's in your mail as we have in the past few weeks. And although we can't give quite as much as we have in the past, I want to make sure that whatever I can donate goes to the intended receipients. I don't want to have my dollars supporting the high livin' lifestyle of the administrators of the NFP.

This is the first year that I've checked out the NFP's I like on Charity Navigator. Was I EVER surprised at a couple of the ones I've given to over the years when I saw that their administrative percentages were very high.  In fact, I scratched those charities off my list and added some that focus on the needy and not the administrators.

Charity Navigator has reports on 5,000 charities. If you want to check your charities out, you can sort by Pets for example or choose them alphabetically, here's the link!
Pin It!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hopping through - LOVE Charity Navigator: I, too, changed giving from at least one charity to another based on overhead and oh, so many fancy mailings.

Anonymous said...

It is a good idea! It's also good to avoid making donations based on holiday emotion and do your research.

Reba Messina said...

The thing that makes my Mommy the most irritated are the mailing they send out with 'gifts'. You know, the address labels, the note pads, the stick to the fridge or window decals - all of which are expensive! If you think printers or manufacturers of those items are giving them away free you are living in a BUBBLE with HELIUM.