Monday, January 23, 2012

What do LOST Dogs, QR Codes and Happy Pawrents have in common? LOTS!

While watching my favorite TV channel, Animal Planet, awhile back I was double doggy surprised to learn that, of the 6 to 8 Million animals that enter a shelter, only 12% of us Mutts and Purebreds make it out (and only 1% of cats… glad I am not one of those fluffy critters). The story got even worse, 50% of my friends who don’t bust out of the joint are euthanized. Now, that’s a big human word that means, “Go to sleep forever.” Now I love a good nap, but I honestly can’t afford to sleep forever, I don't want to miss a chance to hear the fridge open up and run into the kitchen to give puppy eyes to my Mommy. 

So I was so happy to hear the human inside the TV box talking about a cool new way to help keep us Mutts out of the joint.

First off, lets address something most humans just don’t understand; some of us canines really enjoy playing a good game of doggy-hide-in-seek. The truth is, we aren’t trying to upset our furless amigos, but it is just too much fun watching them freak-out and panic when our leashes are empty…  Let’s face it; most two leggers don’t know how to walk themselves.

But back to fixing this troubling pet problem; the human inside the TV box talked about a new company that is using QR codes to reunite pets and humans. According to the tech-mutt who lives next door, “A QR Code is a matrix barcode (or two-dimensional code), readable by QR scanners, mobile phones with a camera, and smartphones.” Great, high-tech-doggy tracking without a painful micro chip injection!

Instantly, I began sniffing my way through the web to find this new company, PetHub.com. I learned that not only are these QR codes effective, but they are kind of a cool fashion statement.

Once I get my new QR tag in the mail, I am going to coax my favorite legger into playing a game of hid-in-seek. I can’t wait to scamper off and hide-out for awhile, then find a interesting smelling stranger with a smartphone who I will nudge to scan my collar… you see, by scanning the code my favorite mutt lover will get an email on her cellphone with my GPS location… then she will pick me up and think she won the game (but she’ll never know how I let her win).

My Mommy says that this QR Collar thing is the perfect bridge for the most stressful time humans experience when their doggy gets away. Where are we between the time we escape and when someone picks us up and we can get our micro-chip scanned? The QR collar will get us home faster and calm the pawrents down.

What do you think?
Pin It!

9 comments:

Carrie, with Tanner and Oliver said...

Thanks for joining in Mutt Monday at AllThingsDogBlog.com. Happy tails!

Carrie, with Tanner and Oliver said...

Thanks for joining in Mutt Monday at AllThingsDogBlog.com. Happy tails!

Helen P. said...

Just found your blog! This is certainly interesting, but wouldn't it be just as easy to include a phone number on the collar and/or pet tag? I say this only because I have a very fancy smart phone, but have never learned how to scan those cool codes.

Reba Messina said...

Ha! Peggy I don't have a Smart Phone. I gave mine up to the company when I retired and I have no desire to have one in my personal life. You're ahead of me!

Two French Bulldogs said...

that is purrty cool
Benny & Lily

Reba Messina said...

Helen I forgot to mention that with the QR Code collar or tag you can put your pet's medications and health history on it too.

PetHub said...

Luv the review! Let us know if you need anything or have any questions!!

Reba Messina said...

Will do PetHub.com! I have an idea. customerservice@DoggyPaddleProducts.com

Linda Messina

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.